Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Post

Happy Fourth of July, everyone. Things are good. I am looking forward to a day off in the middle of the week to relax, and, perhaps, go to the beach. I think that sounds like a nice time :) Will i go to fireworks? No. See, they start at 10:30, and it takes about two hours to get home after the works end because of crowds. It's a bit much for me given that I have to work the following two days. But you know, i miss fireworks a lot.

In other news, I have an announcement that explains everything about my digestive system and why have I have chosen to eat the way I eat recently. I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). It turns out that it isn't normal to have such painful and extreme reactions to certain kinds of food as I do, and I officially have to be careful about how I eat in general now, even at restaurants and other people's houses. Long story short, the more tired and worn out my intestines get, the sooner I am incontinent. That doesn't sound appealing to THIS 27 year old. The diagnosis was vindicating in many ways -- I'm not just making this up; it really does hurt for days whenever I eat wheat and dairy, and also when I eat too many tomatoes or peppers. It's all about balance. "Moderation," as I recall saying in my high school graduation speech. So there it is. One in five or six Americans has it, and it is expressed differently in everyone, including the major trigger foods. For example, I have a very averse reaction to wheat and dairy wh ile others are fine with those foods but can't eat fruit. This process has been an education. Moreover, it explains EVERYTHING! It's quite exciting to finally have a clue, and feels validating to be able to tell people solidly that I really do have to be careful about what I eat.

I have some kind of a bite under my right armpit that has been itching since Thursday evening. What's with that?

On a closing note, a hopeful tale for young Mainers in exile like me:

-------------------------------------
One Student Does the Incredible: Gets Law Passed for State to Pay Off College Debts
http://www.alternet.org/story/55646

No comments: