Saturday, September 15, 2007

Reflections

I have been feeling quite reflective of late.

Here are some examples:

I was walking to the T on Thursday morning, the morning of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year for humans and animals) and realized that that day felt like New Year's to me. Not the way that January 1 feels, but the way that I would expect January 1 to feel. I have never been able to identify with that date as a new year. Autumn full moons, on the other hand, always make me feel as though tides are turning (and they are!) and the earth is starting a new part of its course (and it is! it tilt literally changes directions, remember!). Fall and Spring are much more natural times of year for the New Year to happen, planetarily speaking. Maybe it's because of the school year, and maybe it's because I truly sense my connection with the earth, but I decided that Rosh Hashanah, at least this year, was my New Year, too.

In contrast to my prior location of vocation, the Pru, which announces itself at 15 miles, my current location is tiny and old, practically undetectable between Faneuil Hall and the Financial District. No one knows where I work because it's this cool old building, and the door is an unassuming piece of work between a shoe store and a liquor store. I sometimes imagine myself a spy as I covertly slip into the building between the crowds of Freedom Trail Tours.

No comments: