Sunday, March 30, 2008

Home

This is the first weekend in, count'em, two months that we are neither doing major packing nor unpacking, assembling furniture, having company, or in a different state. First weekend of February was spent packing. Second weekend of Feb, daN's Mum came to visit. Third weekend, we went to Maine (what were we thinking?! but we had fun.) The following weekend, we moved. Weekend after that, we unpacked and bought furniture. Face it: whenever you move, you need to deal with the fact that the systems you had in your old place probably won't fit the space of your new place. Weekend after that, we assembled the furniture. Weekend after that, Kat and Rebecca (college friends of mine) came to visit! YAY! We had a wonderful time. Weekend after that (last weekend), daN and I went to DC to visit Matt and Kathy. Ahead of time, I got an extra prescription med for my allergies, and didn't get sick this time! YAY! My ploy worked. Sudafed works, too, but it also tends to increase my risk of tachycardia, which is bad. I'm not allowed to take it anymore. Anyway, we generally kicked back and went to the zoo, AND we went to see Stephen Colbert's portrait in the National Portrait Gallery. It's so gratuitous. It's awesome.

Yes, this is my first unchartered weekend in two months. It's been great. We went to Target on Friday night to buy toilet paper and then watched the second half of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Yesterday, we slept late, and I did some minor painting on some bureaus I put together a couple of weeks ago, (i'm going to put my office supplies in those), and today I think I'll do laundry and make hamentashen. Mmm. Purim was last weekend, but that's OK.

In other words, I think we're settling in!

I breathe a sigh of relief. Also, excitingly, I did get my tax return, so I spent it on two very exciting things: a wardrobe system from IKEA to actually house my clothing and jewelry in an organized fashion (yay I can find things in the morning!) and a new laptop. Woohoo! I did a lot of research this time, and though I am in the mood to own a Mac again for the first time in years, I ulimately decided against it. I really want a laptop with the 10-key number pad on the right of the letter portion of the keyboard, and Mac has yet to embrace that idea, even in its 17" models. So i went with a Dell Inspiron 1720, and this time I didn't cheap out. I went with top of the line everything (videocard, processing speed, memory, hard drive, etc) so that the new laptop will be able to handle whatever I throw at it for the next few years. See, the current laptop has been a real workhorse, which is a big part of why I have gone with another Dell. But I skimped out because I was really poor at the time, and I found myself in the position where, a year after I bought it, it couldn't handle what became of the internet. I bought this one four and a half years ago when the internet was still basically text in pretty colors. There was no such thing as Youtube or Myspace pages with music AND slideshows. So I had no idea I would want better sound, a faster processor, and a video card to be able to handle what are now considered basic internet functionalities. Here is a picture of what it will look like (note: sexy) -- it's a smaller model than the one I bought, but you'll get the idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dell_Inspiron_1420.jpg It arrives April 20th.

Anyway, I should get started on my day, but let me tell ya -- it's been nice having the time to sit down, drink my cup of coffee, and write for a while.

No comments: