Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Growing My Hair Out, Getting a Red Dress, and the South End Open Market

Ready for a change. That is what it comes down to. I think I'll keep the bangs, but I see myself growing this out for as long as I can stand it. I am sort of liking having it a bit longer, and I miss being able to pull it back. We'll see. The fact is that since adolescence, I have never gone longer than a couple of years without changing my hair somehow. I am not that into messing with my hair color, so right now, that means growing it out. It's kinda fun.

Work is going well. I really enjoy my new capacities (well, the capacities are less new now since my promotion was in January, but they are still relatively recent). I am doing more letters and reports and am able to focus on projects and large meetings. I can't tell you what a difference it makes when you're working really hard on meeting deadlines to not have to be the front-line for phones. I still do back-up, which is totally fine, but not being front-line is such a step up. It's bizarre -- it's as if I have a career. Well, I do! It's not necessarily the one I had had in mind for myself when I was growing up, and I am really looking forward to teaching math, but I have to say, this is nice. I am really happy with the people I work with, and working downtown is super-convenient.

For example: on my lunchbreak today, I am going to walk down the Sabella Couture, where I have an appointment about my wedding dress. Yes, I am going to wear a red wedding dress, and because they are not mass-produced, I am going to have one made. I am so excited! It's going to be a chunk of change, but that's OK. All wedding dresses are. There are no pictures that I can post of it since it's going to be custom-made, but I can tell you that it's going to be more like an evening gown than a wedding dress. Strapless with a princess neckline and a fitted waist, my red dress will drape elegantly down to the floor. No train -- just a flare. Simple, elegant, and quite me. Also, when Patty and I were at the South End Open Market this weekend, I saw some headpieces that I am thinking would make excellent accompaniments. They gave me ideas, at least, and I am thinking about having something color-matched once I get my dress swatch fabric samples. (I am trying to decide between two reds).

Incidentally, I highly recommend the South End Open Market. Hot though it was, Patty and I had a great time looking at the jewelry, stationary, photos, small bags, pottery, mousepads, buttons, and glasswork, all hand-crafted. It was like a free museum. I bought a few things while I was there and it didn't break the bank at all. I was impressed. The vendors change weekly, so there's no telling exactly what it will be like, but it's definitely an experience to repeat.

No comments: