Sunday, January 25, 2004

ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL WEEK ALIVE

So here i am, back in Allston, after another passable week and a great weekend. This weekend, i went to Maine and brought the whole house with me. Not in material goods, however, it was my housemates that accompanied me. It was a nice but all to brief excursion up to the "cold" state, as co-workers refer to it. I personally don't find it nearly as cold with the extra two or three degrees below that it is up there -- not when compared to the likes of the wind whipping through the alleyways and down the open roads. Oh, no. There is nothing like it. Cold is cold. But nothing chills me so thoroughly as the wind.

Maine was lovely. I would have loved to have gone for a walk, but that's why i went for a walk to Brookline with Laura after we all got home. No, it was the indoors for Lindsay this weekend, which was dominated by Dan's birthday. I am not the kind of person who minds a day being dominated by a birthday. Dan is, though. Fortunately, everyone had the presence of mind to celebrate it anyway. He was excited about all the pants and socks he got (we are now at the lovely time of life when one is excited about that sort of thing), and i personally was quite touched at how much he laughed at the card i picked out for him. ("mmm...chicken cake.") He positivley guffawed. And i glowed. We ate Debbie's famous pizza, and her perfect cake, and too many doritos. Mmm. Doritos and Fritos. Mmm. We all watched "The Fifth Element," which is a fun science fiction movie that is basically a really neat idea of the future with kick ass music. The story is cute too. I quite enjoy the characters.

Meanwhile, next time i go to Maine, i'm going to have to spend the weekend at the Bogs', because i haven't had a solid chunk of quality time with them since Christmas. Done and done. This morning was nice though -- Dan, Matt, Kate, Allin, Jon, Judy, and i went to Moody's for brunch. It was great. I got grilled cheeze and onion on rye with a side of home fries and a biscuit. I also got a coffee, which for some reason is always good at Moody's, (not to mention bottomless) all of which came to a grand total of (drumroll, please) a whopping three dollars and twenty-six cents. THAT's when I'm talking about! I gave a three dollar tip because i felt completely cheap otherwise! Our waitress was the Kathy at Moody's that i like - the one i always got along with in that sarcastic kind of humor rather than the "my shit don't stink" Kathy who lived across the street from my in the town of my childhood, Waldoboro. I always liked Sarcastic Kathy. And she was good to us. Brought us coffee and let us sit down even though not everyone who was going to be in our party was there yet.

Laura met us at Moody's, stuffed, having eaten at another one of Maine's heralded greasy diners, The Rockland Cafe. We stuffed in my little car, and we were off. The drive down wasn't bad at all. We made really good time. It turns out that the only thing that slows you down on one's way to Boston is other drivers. We didn't hit any traffic. It was great. I am also immensely proud of myself because i figured out how to get onto Storrow Drive from here, which is great because it's fun to drive on because it's right next to the river, and you don't have to pay a toll like you do with the Mass Pike, whose terrors compare with unlubricated anal rape. (Should i take that back? Nah. Especially with that fucking pilgrim hat.)

The week? Don't remember anything about it. I worked a lot. I thought about buying The Davinci Code, which i really should have done last week since it's so damned expensive and i ended up buying it off half.com 15 minutes ago. I'm really hoping it gets here in time for me to start it before the book group, let alone finish it. But i sleep in the bed that i make. I am a procrastinator by nature. Why should i challenge this? I must embrace it! I must remember my moto!

On that note, i'm going to bed.

No comments: