Sunday, January 18, 2004

A Right Pain in the Ear

I am getting pretty tired of sleeping on the right hand side of my face. I sleep on my stomach (at least when i fall asleep), naturally, and that side is typically the left side. Well, last weekend i pierced that ear twice. It was healing quite nicely until Monday morning.

Monday morning was beautiful. There was a fresh coat of light snow on everything, just enough to make it look clean and lovely. And then there was Comm Ave (short for Commonwealth). Have i ever mentioned how much i hate Comm Ave? Let me state it for the record: I hate Comm Ave. It has a lot of traffic, for one, and it looks shitty for the most part. It comes part and parcel with the occursèd B-line. Have i ever mentioned how much i hate the B-line? Let me state it for the record: I hate, I hate, I hate the B-line. It stops at every single traffic light because it follows Comm Ave above ground, and there are lots of stop lights along Comm Ave. (Not to mention that it's always chuck-a-block full with BU students, so you're lucky to find a place to hold on, let alone a place to sit.)

It was for the B-line that my spankin' new piercing (the top one) is not doing so well as i write. I was waiting outside in the bitter cold for the aforementioned occursèd B-line, and a car drove by along Comm Ave in the brand new layer of slush and calcium chloride, bumped through the divet that was chuck-a-block full of slush and calcium chloride, and bathed me with Comm Ave winter refuse. I was so furious all i could do was stand still with my mouth wide open. It was caked all over my coat and my scarf, in my eyes and caked around them, down my shirt, and of course, caked behind and around my ears, including the brand spankin' new piercing. The lower one seemed to get away nearly unscathed, however it was the top one that took the brunt of the attack. At the time, i thought the worst part about the whole thing was the fact that i was caked in this stuff that was literally burning my skin, and i couldn't do anything about it for another hour until i made it to work where i could wash my face. In the meantime, i had to stay outside and risk another affrontery. I thought wrong. It turns out that the worst part of the whole thing was that it caused my top left new earhole to become infected, from which it still suffers today. So while every other piercing i have ever had has healed rather quickly, this one, having been caked in calcium chloride, slush, what whatever the hell else is sifting around on Comm Ave, became rather enraged and red and infected. Thursday one of my co-workers advised me to smoosh Neosporin all over it after cleaning it really well, and i have reaped obvious and rapid benefits. I still can't sleep on my left side though.

The good news about happy endings and such, i finally went to see "Big Fish" today with Dan and Matt R. Not only was it whimsicle and validated the importance of fancy in stories throughout our lives imparted from one generation to the next. Additionally, it was a heartwarming story of faithfulness and love, family in all its conflicts and strengths. I loved it.

No comments: