Saturday, December 03, 2005

Blog Two Year Anniversary

This month officially marks year #2 of me having a blog. To commemorate this momentous occasion, i would like to take a quick comparison of where i was then to where i was now, and to do so, i'll answer these questions:

1. Career Plans
Dec 2003: I was gearing up to take the GRE's for grad school application the following year, still hoping to become an English Professor
Dec 2005: I am working on my Kripalu Center application this weekend to become a yoga teacher. I'm much more dedicated and driven for this one. It makes me happy and healthy :)

2. Current job:

Dec 2003: I had been at Global Protection for all of 2 and a half months, and still wasn't even on Customer Account management, inventory management, or product development yet. I was still doing the books, making $12/hr... half benefits, 5 vacation days a year, still no health insurance yet, nor dental, so i didn't know i had 15 cavities growing in my mouth. The job sucked the life out of me.
Dec 2005: Working for FMC, a leading "solutions provider" for lenders in the student loan market. Job title: Administrative Assistant doing things like reporting, liaison for the department to the rest of the company, and oddly enough, product development again. Salaried at $38K with FULL benefits and 15 vacation days a year, as well as a boss who is going to let me take the time off for yoga training. Great health insurance, including amazing chiropractic coverage. And i've got most of my cavities taken care of. Do i like the job? Not particularly. But the people are good people, and i have energy to pursue important things in my life when i get home from work.

3. Living situation

Dec 2003: The "student ghetto" in Allston, MA between Boston College and Boston University -- dirty, loud, and out of the way -- four people in a three bedroom apartment that was falling apart, but it was still lovely and a great starting point.
Dec 2005: About a mile east of Davis Square in a great neighborhood with families who have dogs and grandparents and babies in the first floor of a Victorian house. There are two of us now in a 1 bedroom, and it's tons of space -- sunny, hard to heat, but altogether wonderful.

4. Plans for New Year's

Dec 2003: went down to Florida to visit a college friend who also bought me a ticket to see the Phish New Year's show in Miami if i bought my plane ticket. Woo!
Dec 2005: Finally getting to enjoy a quiet New Year in Maine again. I'm so looking forward to looking at the snow across the trees and fields, the quiet sluggishness of the cold ocean, and the northern light filtering in from the side of the sky, coating the world in subtleness.

5. Ability to do Christmas presents

Dec 2003: i got people small presents and some knitting IOU requests
Dec 2005: haven't started actually shopping yet, but for the first time since i started paying rent, i actually have money saved up for it.

6. Car situation

Dec 2003: 1992 Subaru legacy that hadn't hit the point where it was about to fall apart yet. The parking situation in Allston was terrible, so i didn't drive it much, but i had one, and it was useful for getting out.
Dec 2005: 2005 Scion XB -- brand new -- running terrifically, impossibly large. The parking situation is excellent. It's still street parking, but due to the fact that it's not a congested living area, we almost always get to park directly in front of our house and have a shorter walk from car-to-door than our landlords who park in the driveway do.

7. Relationship status:

Dec 2003: Happy and in love with daN
Dec 2005: Happier and even more in love with daN

8. Hair

Dec 2003: My hair was still mostly curly, and slightly below shoulder length. I had been getting the occasional gray hair, but it always fell out immediately.
Dec 2005: My hair is pretty much straight, and pretty much shoulder length after having had a few chin-length haircuts. Am i growing it out or getting it cut again? Getting gray hairs that stay there...

9. Diet

Dec 2003: In addition to being vegetarian, i ate mostly beans and rice, some salad, still ate a decent amount of bagels and pasta and a lot of chocolate and desserts
Dec 2005: i have full embraced being a hippy health nut. I still eat a lot of beans and rice, but i'm getting more into goat cheezes than ever. I also don't eat wheat and sugar if i can avoid them, and if it's a must, i do halvesies on the sugar combined with honey. I also buy organic evaporated cane juice instead of normal processed sugar. Buckwheat noodles and rice make up most of my carb intake. I make my own wheat-free sugar-free granlola, and I'm really on the look-out for wheat-free bagels...

10. Shoes
Dec 2003: had too many shoes, and most of them came from Payless and weren't comfortble and were falling apart. Sneakers: a pair of well-worn gray camouflage Sauconies
Dec 2005: OK, so i still have too many shoes, but they're not falling apart anymore, and i have stuck to a "if it's not comfy, don't buy it" policy... and because of that i have two pairs of shoes that cost more than $100 each. They're so worth and i wear them every day. Sneakers: A pair of forest green Sauconies with a magenta stripe -- after having had a pair of well-worn blue with pink stripe Sauconies in the middle. I like Sauconies.

11. Exercise
Dec 2003: I still tried to run sometimes despite my knees, but i had a mile walk to and from South Station to Global Protection every day along the Big Dig.
Dec 2005: I gave up on trying to run. I still have a mile walk every day, but this time it's between my house and Davis Square, and it's a much nicer walk. I also do yoga for an average of an hour every day.

12: Dog ownership
Dec 2003: Didn't have one, but was hoping to someday.
Dec 2005: I still don't have one, and i'm still hoping to someday. At least i get to play with Q's dog now, though.

Where were you two years ago and where are you now? Here's the list i used, but feel free to modify it.
1. Career Plans
2. Current job
3. Living situation
4. Plans for New Year's
5. Ability to do Christmas presents
6. Car situation
7. Relationship status
8. Hair
9. Diet
10. Shoes
11. Exercise
12: Dog ownership

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Career Plans
Dec. 2003: Wasn't sure what I wanted to do after graduate school. I just wanted to either keep the job I currently had and/or move on to another one that I liked just as much.
Dec. 2005: Some where down the road it would be nice to stop the career for a few years and raise a family. Go back to work full time once the child or children were in school. Maybe open my own private practice once I study and hopefully pass the LCSW exam. And maybe...someday own and/or work at a doggy daycare on the side to get my fill of animals in. :)

2. Current job
Dec. 2003: In graduate school completing an internship working with individuals that had brain injuries and holding down a job at the Maine Tobacco Helpline. I loved both jobs.
Dec. 2005: Working at PSC. I like my job a lot. I think my paycheck is decent, I get paid time off, and some weeks I only work Mon-Thursday. The people I work with and for are all great. I don't particularly care for being around second hand smoke all the time or being on call 24 hours a day but if there are only 2 things I can complain about, it must not be that bad. :)

3. Living situation
Dec. 2003: Living in Westbrook, ME in a 2 bedroom apartment with my lovable husband.
Dec. 2005: Living in Portland, ME in our first home!!!!

4. Plans for New Year's
Dec. 2003: I think we stayed in, rented movies, and fell asleep before the ball dropped and then made fun of ourselves the next day for being old people. :)
Dec. 2005: Not sure. Last year New Year's was celebrated in Portland and it was a blast. Maybe that will happen again? Not sure yet.

5. Ability to do Christmas presents
Dec. 2003: Tight but do able.
Dec. 2005: Budgeted and saved for....unfortunately we are a bit over the planned budget but what can you expect with all the people in our families? :)

6. Car situation
Dec. 2003: Bought a brand new 2003 Honda CR-V. It was my 1st year anniversary present from Alan. :)Alan had bought and paid in full for his Prelude in the Spring of 2003.
Dec. 2005: Still have the CR-V. Works great and love it. Alan has his Prelude which is his baby and that is still running well too.

7. Relationship status
Dec. 2003: Having our second Christmas together as a married couple. I ditto Lindsay's statements...just insert Alan instead. :)
Dec. 2005: 4th Christmas together in our first home! :) Again, Ditto. It is great to be in love!

8. Hair
Dec. 2003: That might have been my black hair days..I am not quite sure. Medium length and black totally by accident...but still black, curly, and with a very pale complexion.
Dec. 2005: Brown, curly, shoulder length with some highlights still kicking around.

9. Diet
Dec. 2003: Still putting on the pounds. :( Wasn't exercising.
Dec. 2005: Lost a tiny bit of weight. Nothing to brag about but I am trying. Keeping track of what I eat in a journal as much as possible. Trying to exercise a bit.

10. Shoes
Dec. 2003: I really like shoes but I am still frugile when it comes to buying stuff for myself. So...probably didn't have more than 6 pairs?
Dec. 2005: Still liking shoes. I enjoy trying them on but the price tag still hits me everytime. I need to get better about spending money on myself. :)

11. Exercise
Dec. 2003: None really. I know..that is sad.
Dec. 2005: Doing a tiny bit better. Was doing way better in 2004 but moved to Windham so lost the Planet Fitness membership.

12: Dog ownership
Dec. 2003: No dog. Still pining away for a dog.
Dec. 2005: Wish I was getting a dog for Christmas now that we have a house but just can't afford a dog right now in addition to our new bills. Aiming and saving to hopefully have a dog by next year!!! Cross your fingers!! But...to be thankful, like Lindsay, at least I can play with and dog sit Shawn's dog, Kana. He is so great!

This was fun Lindz! Thanks! Lee :)

Melissa McCue-McGrath, CPDT-KA said...

1. Career Plans
2003: I wanted to find a way to go back to Grad school so I could be a professor at a college.
2005: I haven't given up on the idea of going back to school, but I'm not sure what for, so I try to think of things in terms of advancement at Miva.
2. Current job
2003: Trying to get out of being the receptionist Newall Electronics - a company that really had no use for a receptionist since there were no visitors.
2005: Office manager at Miva with dabblings in marketing, PR and fix/drill things.
3. Living situation
2003: Moving out of Columbus and in with the Bogs in Friendship.
2005: Living with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom apartment in Somerville, a mile from Razz, 5 minutes walking from Dan and Lindz. It's very ideal, except the roommate part.
4. Plans for New Year's
2003-Went to see David Grisham (old bassist for Pink Floyd) and a band called Ecoustic Hooka with my then boyfriend Jon. I honked a dancing bear's butt and called Lindz at the Phish concert.
2005- Up in the air. Stay tuned.
5. Ability to do Christmas presents
2003- Not so much- I was way in debt living off my credit card, but still managed to put a couple things together. I basically baked a lot of cookies and passed them out.
2005- I saved my bonus check in August so I can totally buy presents!
6. Car situation
2003: 1991 Chevy Celebrity that kicked it around this time that year. I replaced it with...
2005: ...2001 Chevy S10 truck that I bought so I could move all my shit to Maine
7. Relationship status
2003: Just broke up with Jon and started going out with Alex.
2005: Just broke up with Alex, enjoying singledom and all of those "Sex in the City" moments.
8. Hair
2003: Short (below chin, above shoulders) straggly and reddish.
2005: About the same length, blackish, more styled. Currently, straight.
9. Diet
2003: Bagles and peanut butter (vegetarian and living on my own)
2005: Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and bagles with cream cheese. Still veggie.
10. Shoes
2003/2005: Same shoes but I have one pair of boots that I didn't have before.
11. Exercise
2003: Fencing competitively
2005: Injuries have kept me from doing too much activity, but I walk and do calesthenics.
12: Dog ownership
2003: Just an 11 month old Border collie I got at the pound.
2005: Just a 3 year old Border collie and her 11 month old brother, Samwise the Springer. :)