Friday, January 18, 2008

"Commodity fetishism just makes me feel better."

I have finally sprung for a really expensive pair of spike heels. No Manolo Blahniks or anything, but I did buy a pair of Italian patent leather Mary Janes that look remarkably similar to those that Marilyn Monroe wore (which currently live at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, by the way... which may have inspired me to seek some out). Here is a picture:

A friend of mine asked me how they are practical. Well, for one thing, they're the most comfortable three inch spike heel I've ever put on. And keep in mind -- these are not for jogging or speedwalking; they're for sauntering around. And they're marvelous for that. And let's not forget the real point here: they make me look sexy. However, I sprung for the expensive ones because, no matter how sexy the shoes, I won't wear them unless they're comfortable for their purpose.

On the thriftier and more practical side, i was getting REALLY tired of using my Moody's Diner apron as my only kitchen apron. It's just utterly insufficient for cooking. It is shorter than any decent apron should be (it was designed only to hold pens and ordering pads) and doesn't have the side coverage. The result: I go to wipe my floury hands on my apron, and end up getting it all over my pants anyway because the apron is just too short. Ten years of that was enough.

Solution: vintage style aprons on ebay! This one particular seller, Sassy Aprons, has a broad selection of wonderful vintage patterned aprons. Here is a picture of the one I bought, for a mere twenty one bucks including shipping.

Incidentally, the quote from the title of the post -- that was me in college talking through my feeling philosophically inconsistent regarding my love of shoes with my college friend and roommate Patty. Being a Marxist and recognizing that the irrational love of shoes is a replacement for missing social relationships in a capitalist society of mass markets where the consumer has no ostensible connection with the means of production beyond the transaction of purchasing, I still meanwhile suffer (and enjoy!) an irrational love of shoes. I sighed. "Commodity fetishism just makes me feel better."

And there it is.

1 comment:

Lyrica said...

:) This post made me smile. And the apron is very cute. The shoes, too, but the apron is more my particular cup of tea.