Saturday, March 20, 2004

Things That Make Me Happy

Yesterday when i was waiting for the red line (which i LOVE), there was a guy who sings R&B with his carry-around kareoke machine, and he's really good. He sung through a couple of songs from his usual repertoire, and then he started singing one i hadn't heard him sing before. It took me a few minutes, but soon i recognized this song as a song from my childhood. He was singing a gospel/country ballad that my mum used to play when my brother and i were little and we were all living in Parsonsfield at the top of a populationless, well-forested mountain in western Maine. It was my favorite song off that record album, and the chorus goes something like this:
I sing because He's with me,
I sing right from my soul,
and the peace I felt
When He was standing there
None others have ever known.
I haven't heard that song for ages. It brought me a great sense of peace when i heard it again in the subway yesterday, and it made me feel like everything was going to be alright.

That was a feeling i really needed at the moment, too, because i had to leave work early yet again because of a relapse of sickness. The cold i caught earlier in the week had passed, thought, but not quickly enough for me to get away with it without getting a horrible sinus infection. I actually almost broke down into tears yesterday while i was at work because i couldn't believe it, and i knew i needed antibiotics. So i called the doctor in Somerville and managed to get an appointment for that afternoon at 4:15. YAY! I was so grateful. A very nice lady saw me, and even though they haven't received my medical history from my doctor in Maine yet, they prescribed me antibiotics. YAY! I got them just in time, too, because last night was ROUGH. I pretty much went to sleep the minute i got home (around 7 or 8 is when i hit the hay), and i got up this morning at 8. And i felt HORRIBLE last night. I was mumbling incoherently and didn't even get up to greet Matt's parents who have come down to visit for the weekend.

When i went to fill my prescription at CVS, there was quite the line and quite the wait. When the guy behind the counter asked if i would be staying and when i wanted to pick it up, i answered, "as soon as possible?" He told me it would be about twenty minutes. I had a seat. I thought about all sorts of mean things about big chain pharmacies in cities and how i never had to wait twenty minutes to get my prescription filled at Clark's Drug in Waldoboro, when i heard my name called. I probably hadn't been sitting longer than five minutes. I was elated. No sooner did my mean brain have the chance to condemn then did they prove me wrong. It goes to show you that there are good people everywhere.

This morning, i was well enough to meet Dan and Carol (one of the visitors) at a couple of the free museums at Harvard. They were fabulous! And once again i had my love of Impressionist and after art re-affirmed. Not a fan of most "modern art," but i positively love everything from the Impressionists to the German Expressionists, especially Cezanne, Picasso, Leger, and my new interest, Max Beckmann. GREAT stuff in the Fogg-Art Museum, and it is free on Saturdays from 10am-12pm!

So i have had an eventful morning, and it sucked up my energy. We finished with a delicious meal at Bertucci's. Mmm.

No comments: